Thursday, April 1, 2010

Progress on the XS650



Made some progress on the front end. After getting the front end on and getting the wheel to the proper height, I marked the legs where I wanted to cut them. (Note, I added an extra 1.5" to the front end which will put the bike slightly off level but give me a tad more clearance as well as compensating for the weight that will be on the forks with a rider and the weight of the motor)



A unique thing with this girder is that the legs are welded together with the crossmember and can't be pulled apart. With that in mind, I welded an axle to my workbench to keep the legs in place. Then I marked them and went at it with the sawzall.





Flipped it over and did the same on the other side. After I had both legs cut, I measured them and one side was about 1/8" longer than the other. I hit it with a flap disc to remove most of the material but for fine tuning, I always prefer to work with a file.



With both sides the same length I got out the torch and bent both front and rear legs in equal distances to keep a nice straight line to the center of the pivot point.





I haven't made the axle plates yet but you can see that I'll be using 1/4" plate. Don't know yet if I'm going to just do a standard rounded plate or if I'll get creative.

3 comments:

  1. hells yeah! theres getting to be a lot of xs chops around here, i'm in boise too. saw your comment on special 79 and thought i'd say whats up. bike looks badass can't wait to see it rippin up the streets, -spencer http://known-random.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting spencer. You're the first builder I've come across since I've been in Boise. Once I start on the XS, the assembly should be pretty quick. My Harley should be running this weekend. BTW, I checked out your blog. Good to see other guys doin stuff themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did this ever get finished? I am about to try putting a 650 motor into a paughco big twin frame and would love to see how this turned out! Any info would be amazing: gmckey@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete