Tuesday, March 30, 2010

XS650 in Harley Frame Build



So, I just realized that I don't have a forum to post this build in. I love xlforum.com but it's only for Harleys and the guys at Jockey Journal have decided that they only care about american and brit bikes. So It's just getting posted for my enjoyment here I guess.





The frame was manufactured by Maximum Motorcycles Inc out of Ontario Canada. It was made to take a 200 rear but I narrowed the back end to fit a stock harley wheel. Speaking of wheels, I just picked up a set with good rubber for $100.

Got the rear wheel spaced up and got my chainline straight. Next I made sure that my frame was level



Once level, I shimmed the motor to get it to the correct height and then centered it in the frame





Next I cut some 1/4" plate to make the front motor mount. Easy enough with a band saw and drill press. I'm not the greatest welder but I can lay down a decent bead and my Hobart MIG 180 makes it pretty easy on me. I should also mention that whenever I'm making any mounts I always either mock it up with some poster board or really thin plate before I make final cuts to the heavy stuff.







Now that the front was done I moved on to the rear mount. I quickly bent up a little bracket to hook on my bottle jack to raise and lower the rear of the motor while leaving my mounting holes clear.



I threw some all thread through the mounting hole and made a paper template of my mounting bracket.



I know that most guys will just run a cross member between the frame rails and then make two brackets to come up on each side of the mounting holes. I didn't do that for 2 reasons. First, I liked the look of the frame without it and I thought it might make it easier to take the motor in and out.

With the template done, I cut up the plate and added a brace on the back of the bracket to give it some extra horizontal support.



With those done, I tacked them on, threaded the ends of a piece of 3/8" rod, cut some spacers and it was done.



Well the lower mounts are done with exception of some finishing welds on the rear. The top mount is easy and I'll snap some pics of that when I tackle it in a couple days.

I bought I vintage 14" over girder that should be here today. Don't know yet if I want to rake out the neck or cut the girder down. I'll mock up and post some pics both ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment