Monday, March 28, 2011

Street Tracker Part 8 - Choppin the Tank - Lacing the Wheel


Got the tank to sit how I want it to today. Only problem is that I had to cut out the tunnel to get it that way. Just need to go buy some sheet so I can bend up a new one and get that baby welded in there.



Also got my spokes today. Laced up the wheel in a couple hours. Would have been a lot faster but because the rim is for a rear hub, the nipple holes are at a different angle so on one side you get a little bowing which in turn makes it tough to get the spokes threaded on to the nipples. Once I got the wheel all laced up, I just wasn't comfortable with 9 of the spokes not seating nicely because of the angle of the front hub. Tomorrow I'm just going to loosen all the spokes again, take out those 9 and drill the holes so the angle is less extreme. Never too early to get your son started building wheels.


5 comments:

  1. Hi, really inspired by your build. I think the stance you've achieved is one of the best on the web for an XR600 street tracker. I have a question about the rims. The rear is a 32 hole, and front is a 36 hole right? How do you go fitting the 32 hole rear rim onto the 36 hole front hub? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments. I sold the bike a few months ago to a guy in Seattle. He's been keeping in touch and told me that since he's had it, he's stripped it, powdercoated it and added a Baja style light. Suppose to send in some pics that I'll post when I get them.

    As for the wheel, they both had the same amount of spokes. I think they were both 32.

    Kellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, interesting. Thanks for the reply. I've actually bought an XR600, yet to pick it up. I'll have to have a better look once I've got it in my hot little hands. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great bike! I doing something similar with an 1983 XR 500 and have a couple questions for you if you don't mind:
    What length spokes did you use on the front wheel? I am lacing to a DID 36 hole 18x2.15 rear rear rim.
    Also what pod filters did you use and did you have any trouble with jetting?

    thanks man
    Bart
    bartmang@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you recal where you ordered the spokes from and what the specs were_ working on the same thing.

    ReplyDelete