Friday, March 25, 2011

Street Tracker Part 5 - Progress


I started tearing into the bike today. Interesting thing happened though. Once I took off the headlight, I checked the neck and guess what it said?... Not 1986 XR600R but 1983 XR500R! Yeah that kind of pisses me off. The guy who sold it to me said that it has the XR600R motor. I don't think he was being dishonest when he sold me the bike. I think that he's just had it for so long that he thought it was the 86 cause that's the motor it has. Would I still have bought it knowing that it's a 1983 frankenbike? Probably. Would I have paid $950 for it still? Probably not. So easy to get duped on craigslist.

There were two big changes between 1983 and 1986 other than just 3 years. First, the 500cc motor was replaced with the 600cc. The other big change was they added an aluminum swingarm. I would much rather have the aluminum swingarm just for the weight. Should have been able to get this bike for at least  $100 less.

Oh well. My bad for not double checking the title before I left. On with the destruction


No comments:

Post a Comment