Saturday, December 10, 2016

1975 Honda CB125S Brat Headlight

I've been really struggling trying to figure out what to do for a headlight. I knew that I wanted to use the original if I could but after looking at the options for headlight mounts, I wasn't satisfied and knew that I'd have to make my own.

I took an aftermarket mount for a CT70 that I had around because it never fit any of my bikes. I took two of the clamps off and bored them out on the lathe to 27MM to fit my CB125 forks.


I then took a piece of 3/8" rod and drilled and tapped each end to fit the 6mm bolts from the headlight mount.


Next was how to actually mount the headlight. I had some flat bar around the shop so I took a piece of that and put in on the roller until the radius matched that of the headlight bucket. I knew that if I just welded it to the rod it wouldn't have much contact, so I cut out a center section so I could sink it in a bit and get more contact.


After welding the two pieces together, I took a flap disc to the inside to smooth it out and just improve the look a bit. It's not super pretty but it didn't cost me any money and only took a couple hours to make. That's a win in my book.


Bolted the headlight to the mount and I've happy with the way it turned out. Still have enough room above to mount the speedo and it's not too complicated. Throw some paint on it and I think it'll be pretty slick.


I'm happy with how the bike is turning out. I've only spent $40 on parts so far which has got to be the cheapest I've built a bike. I'm going to be making a custom aluminum tail light on the lathe so stay tuned for that. After that's done, I'll do a post on shaping my seat foam and sewing a nice leather cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment